If you've just had a baby or you're looking forward to your due date, here's a great list for all mamas: the essentials for your newborn. These essentials, put together by the ladies over at 100 Layer Cakelet, include some of our all-time favorites. You'll find signature products that have been tested through the years as well as some brand new must-haves:
1. Nuna Pipa carseat. This one is so cozy and deluxe!
2. Black and white contrasty soft book. Newborns love black and white.
3. Ergobaby Adapt. From birth up with no infant insert. It’s so cool!
4. Small pouch for organizing the diaper bag. This one holds diapers, diaper cream, wipes, lipgloss… you know the essentials! By Baggu for Land of Nod.
5. Bonded leather changing mat from Gathre
6. Handmade wood rattle from Knotwork LA
7. Sound machine! Baby loves sleeping with white noise. There are lots of options but this one has proven to be trusty and long lasting. Pro tip: if you’re worried about baby waking up an older child, put a second one in the big kid’s room too!
8. The cutest leather diaper bag, ever! Printed with little moons, and full of pockets. By Baggu for Land of Nod.
9. Adorably patterned diapers and wipes from Parasol Co.
10. Fall and winter babies need a signature cap! Love the pilot/bonnet style and this simple organic cotton version in particular.
11. Dwell + Slumber modern housecoat/kaftan/nightgown/dress. With buttons in the front for nursing. Makes days around the house feel a little more stylish!
12. Solly baby wrap. Yes you will totally use both a wrap and an Ergo! Love how soft and stretchy the Solly wraps are.
13. Organic multi-purpose balm from One Love Organics. Amazing for chapped/dry skin, diaper cream, lipgloss, nipple cream, makeup remover… literally anything that needs a little extra love will benefit from this stuff. And it’s 100% organic with no chemicals so it’s safe for everyone in the family to use.
14. Muslin burp cloths should come everywhere with you! Especially if you have a spit-uppy baby.
15. NoseFrida. The gold standard in snot-sucking, people. It’s a must have for clearing baby’s stuff nose.
16. Infant nail clippers with a light! So genius. Ordered these the first time on accident and it turns out they are amazing.
17. Simple, soft newborn clothes are so lovely. These basics from Gap should be stashed away in three sizes if you ask us! Love whites and creams on the little ones.
18. A bunch of organic washcloths… and yes the tiny size really matters when you have a tiny human.
19. A tub (we like Puj!) for keeping baby clean and safe in the bath. Puj stores flat and takes up, like, NO space when you’re not using it. Major bonus!
20. Natural bath soap and lotion, that mama likes too! Love Tubby Todd‘s natural scents.
21. Have you seen the Dock-a-Tot? Haven’t used it, but it looks pretty genius!
22. Can’t ever go wrong with muslin swaddling blankets. Even if you prefer different swaddles for actual swaddling (zipper, velcro, folded, etc), these will be workhorses in your baby arsenal for years! They even make great fort blankets later on.
23. A sleep book! Sleep it everything if you ask us. And having a book you can reference to understand infant, baby, and sleep through the years is so immensely helpful. We love The Happy Sleeper for it’s “middle of the road” approach to sleeping, soothing, crying, and all that comes with the first year of getting the whole family enough rest.
24. Ergobaby nursing pillow. Definitely need one for all the hours you’ll be sitting on the couch or in bed with your babe.
Share your newborn faves with us in the comments!